Thursday, October 6, 2016

Chompin' at the Bit - Vol. 7

Week 5 Recap 


Jalen Tabor with his 3rd INT of the year Photo: AP Photo/Mark Humphrey

Welp... UF outlasted Vandy 13-7 (4-1). Another lackluster performance by our offense, but yet another win. It didn't really feel like we won with how we played though. I have to say I'm sick of watching boring old Florida football. I love my Alma Mater too much to not watch them, but it's getting to the point where you already know what to expect before the game even starts and it's frustrating. You know you will see a stout defense that constantly bails us out until they are worn out from being on the field all game long, a below average offense that struggles to put points up and constantly goes 3 and out, a fragile O-Line, and mediocre special teams. Think about this... When is the last time you saw UF block a punt or a field goal? Run a punt or kick back? Yeah, Callaway has had a few nice returns here and there, but if he's out who do we go to? The Gators used to be known for all three phases of the game and our special teams play was huge, especially during the Urban-era. You take our All-American caliber punter out of the equation along with Odell Kick'em and our special teams is trash. How is that? I have been and am still high on Coach Mac, but these position coaches I can't say the same.

O-Line play needs to be addressed immediately. Those kids have played enough football and play against an elite defense in practice... There is no excuse for how bad they are. Is it coaching? I know there are dozens of teams across the country with much lower rated linemen that play better than us. That's embarrassing. You really can't even think about the QB position or RB position right now and what they "should" be doing because our line sucks so bad. And to piggy back off that, this 'running back committee' needs to stop. Pick two backs and let them go. As I said from Day 1, Scarlett is THE guy. I would have Perine as our number 2 back and ride with that rotation. Scarlett clearly had the hot hand in Vandy, yet had 12 carries.... WHAT? Why not keep feeding him? I don't understand it. Another thing I don't understand is why we didn't take any shots down field when we had so much success the week before. It was check down after check down and missed read after missed read. I'm sick of watching it.


Week 6 Preview 


This is the week many had circled on their calendars... It's LSU week, the battle of the self-proclaimed DBU's (Defensive Back University). We all know who the real DBU is and they reside in Gainesville. UF leads the all-time series 31-28-3.

Scene from the last time UF beat LSU, in 2012
QB Luke Del Rio is expected be back in the starting role this week, so I am hoping that results in a better performing offense. Again... O-Line, do your job! Normally, I am optimistic to a fault and I always think we have a shot at winning, but I have to admit that I really don't think we are going to win this weekend. LSU came out and beat Mizzou like they stole something last weekend and you know they are going to be geeked to play us. I'm not confident in us at all right now. Not to mention, our injuries are through the roof right now and it's definitely being felt in our run defense. Our entire starting defensive line is out this weekend due to injuries. We probably wouldn't have as many players hurt if the offense could stay on the field a little longer, just saying.

Only thing I can say about this weekend is, we'll see...

Prediction: LSU 34, UF 24 (4-2, 2-2 SEC) 



No comments:

Post a Comment