Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Adrian Peterson Child Abuse Scandal: Was he right or wrong?

By: Jimbo Brown



It has been a long couple of weeks for the NFL due to legal issues: Domestic Violence and Child Abuse, neither being acceptable to me or to many others across the nation. When it comes to the Adrian Peterson situation I believe he has every right to discipline his children. He may have went overboard, but he only implemented the tactics learned by his parents.

For those who may not know the story let me get you up to speed. Earlier this year in May, Peterson took a switch (thin branch with no leaves) and spanked his son for pushing his sibling. He was questioned by two different police departments with a lawyer, summoned and testified before the Grand Jury. A warrant for his arrest was issued in Montgomery, Texas, where he turned himself in and posted the $25,000 bail. The Minnesota Vikings will not take any action until due process has taken place. 



Even though the child sustained bodily injures and Peterson may have went over board, I believe you can't tell someone how to discipline their child. In the black community, getting whipped or spanked is common in most households. Parents go-to line will always be “I brought you into this world and I can take you out.” We all have done things in our life that has lead to our parents disciplining us.

It was times during my life where my parents have disciplined me in multiple ways: whippings (belts,switches etc) and Physical (punch in chest, slap in face etc). have gotten bruises and sometimes bleed during a whipping. I now understand the purpose for the punishment. It made me think about the actions and the consequences behind it. My parents also explained to me after on why this happen and how I can prevent it by following their rules. I believe the white culture will not understand because they were raised differently. 

A large part of the country is quick to judge this situation but no one is in the position to tell someone how to discipline their child. We all have our beliefs and ways we might have gone about this. Adrian Peterson admits to overly whipping his child but didn’t intentionally mean to abuse and harm HIS child. I hope the NFL doesn't overly react to the situation before all the details are out. We don’t need another Ray Rice situation. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah he went a little over board with the spanking or whipping. I believe he loves his child. I mean he's being treated like a criminal. I was hit with a shoe, back hand slapped, my parents loved us. We were taught well and I disciplined my children the same way. Extension cords are a little harsh. People let's look at the real and big picture. Are children are being slaughtered in the streets for doing nothing and he's being crucified. Other people forget they have children and leave them in hot cars to die. Anyway they can come at us. Smh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the NFL's punishment toward Ray Rice is harsh. He is not the first nor the only professional athlete to get violent with their spouse or significant other. If the organization is going to punish athletes they need to go way backkk to previous incidents off the field with other athletes and be fair, firm, and consistent.

    ReplyDelete