Thursday, September 15, 2016

Chompin' at the Bit - Vol. 4

By: Blair McLendon


WR Freddie Swain celebates his TD with his OL - Photo Cred: gatorcountry.com

Week 2 Recap

Wow! What a good game, right!? The way the Gators played on Saturday versus Kentucky exemplified what Florida Football should look like. I thought this was the most complete game on both sides of the ball that we have seen since the Urban-era. I went into the game expecting to win, but not like that. Florida dominated from the jump and came out with their first victory in conference play, beating UK 45-7.

Offensively, the game ball had to go to QB Luke Del Rio who was 19/32 for 320 yards 4TDs and 1 INT. He spread the ball around nicely and showed off a cannon that I doubt anyone knew he had when he connected on a 78 yard dime to WR Antonio Callaway, who finished with 129 yards on 5 catches. That lethal backfield I've been raving about made me proud as well. The star of the running game was freshman RB Lamical Perine, who finished with 1 TD and 133 total yards. The Gators backfield finished the game with 244 yards on the ground, pushing the total yardage to 564. Wait, wait, wait.... I know. You're probably thinking I made a typo with 564 yards, right? Nah, you read it right. That offensive line I've been praying for finally stepped up to keep the pocket clean and created some nice running lanes. Good job, guys!

It was almost laughable at how much our defense dominated Kentucky. DBU lived up to their moniker and held Kentucky's starting QB to 2/10 for 10 yards with 3 INTs. The return of CB Teez Tabor was very much welcomed, as he recorded his first pick of the season on an incredible read to jump an attempted screen pass. CB Quincy Wilson had the nastiest pick of the weekend in my opinion. Of course he got no love on ESPN, but take a look below at this absolute filth so you can see what I'm talking about. The front seven played amazing as well, recording 5 sacks and 1 forced fumble while holding UK to 149 total yards.






 

Week 3 Preview - North Texas vs. Florida

 

This week the Gators take on the North Texas Mean Green. This will be the second meeting between the schools, with North Texas winning the only matchup 20-12 in 1947.



Offense 
I think I speak for everyone when I say that I want to see an encore of last week's performance. I would hope that the team comes out with the same aggressive, kill-all mentality they had last week and have another blowout. This should be another confidence booster as they gear up for the much anticipated matchup with "rival" Tennessee next week. With everything I have seen behind the scenes, as well as what they have shown on the field, I feel like this is really just the tip of the iceberg of what is to come with Mac's offense. But what is that old saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I've been fooled enough, so I'm praying for another solid outing so we can finally shed this lifeless offensive shadow we have lived in, for what seems like, forever. The key is the same as last week's; if the offensive line keeps Del Rio clean, expect points! The running game should be solid again. WR Antonio Callaway is doubtful for the game and starting RG Tyler Jordan is out.

Defense
This defense is too hungry and too stingy to come out and lay an egg. As a unit, they have bailed this team out more times than we can count so don't expect anything less this week. They come into this game as the #2 defense in the country and want to prove that they are the best. They will come to play as always. Hopefully we can get a big lead and give our vets some rest while we also give the younger guys some time to develop.

Final Prediction: Florida over North Texas (3-0) (If I see another competent offense this weekend, I will pick a score next week. Just trying to save face here...)

Enjoy the weekend. Go Gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment